Sunday, May 10, 2009

My 'other' gardening project...


This... is a peach tree. Or rather, it *will* be a peach tree. Now I think it's more like a peach dream. Or a peach sprout. At any rate, I live near the Central Valley of California, and the produce that can be grown here is simply amazing. So after eating a particularly delicious peach ~ not last year, but the year before! ~ I saved the pit, stuck it in some dirt, and threw some water on it now and again.

I recently discovered, while surfing the net looking for information on growing peach trees from a seed (as it seemed my little experiment was going to thrive...), that the fruit you get from such a tree is not guaranteed by any estimation to be of the same quality as the peach you got it from. Seems there are other forces at play, such as where it is pollinated from and I-don't-know-what-else. But as we've come this far together ~ my lovely little tree-ette and I ~ *we* shall persevere.

I'm a tree person :-)

Trees are sanctuaries. Whoever knows how to listen to them, can learn the truth.
-- Herman Hesse

2 comments:

Jasper said...

I like the idea of a peach dream. I have no doubt it will come to fruition, but the simple phrase "peach dream" is, in its own way, equally delicious. May your dream grow, and bear fruit :)

Annodear said...

Thank you, Ms. Jasper :-) I *LOVE* fresh peaches!!! And the ones available in the store just aren't cutting it!

Had a friend elsewhere say that she planted an apple seed from an apple her son had eaten as a toddler... and ten years later ate an apple off it! So... only maybe 8 years to go :-D