Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Susan's Picnic Blanket

My dear friend Susan is an avid hiker and camper ~ and she has the coolest picnic blanket (which I've already duplicated for myself using a 30-year old poncho and a fleece blanket bought at the Goodwill store).

Unfortunately, Susan's blanket is TRASHED. I mean stains that are never going to come out. Ever. It's old and has been used on probably a weekly basis for *years*. Even after repeated washings, the ground in dirt and spilled sardine juice (she and her husband's usual picnic lunch), are just a part of it. She has despaired of ever being able to find a new one to buy again... and I know she's looked.

The first time she pulled it out, I was thrilled and amazed at the simplicity and design of it, with rip-stop nylon on the outside and cotton flannel on the inside. Very lightweight. The nylon keeps the damp off you and nothing much sticks to it... and the flannel is so soft.

When I told her recently about the one I made for myself she flipped! That's when she told me how hard she'd been trying to find a new one. So... for her birthday ~ which is right around the corner ~ I made her a new one.

Enjoy the photos :-)

With my little buddies :-)


Folds & rolls up nicely


Unrolling it


On a queen sized bed


Turned the nylon up around the edges


Reinforced corners

Rolled up again


Attached ties


Next to a check register to show the size


Looks pretty comfy :-)

2 comments:

Sadge said...

It looks very comfy, and so practical. I have a birthday coming up pretty soon too . . . .

Sadge said...

LOL! Very cute on Yahoo Answers. And you're right. In fact, I just might have to make a few of these. I've been trying to think of something for a wedding gift for one of Aries' cousins' kid. And just last week, I noticed they have rip-stop at my favorite remnants fabric store.